- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium potatoes, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 4 cups cabbage.
- A few celery leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 cups of stock
- Slices of bread toasted and buttered
- Grated cheese
- Chopped chives or parsley for garnish
Heat the butter over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot.
Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the grated potato, grated carrots, shredded cabbage, parsley leaves and salt and pepper. Stir while cooking for 1-2 minutes or the the potatoes don’t stick to the pot.
Add the stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
To serve, place a slice of buttered toast in the bottom of a bowl, sprinkle with cheese and cover with the soup. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley.