Nothing better than a warm, cozy pot of baked beans, burbling gently in the slow cooker, filling the house with the smell of maple goodness.
Slow Cooker Maple Baked Beans
- 4 cups (907 g) dried white or Navy beans, soaked overnight
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1/2 lb salt pork, rind removed and diced
- 4 cups water * (see note below)
- ¼ cup tomato paste (half of a small can)
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
Soak beans in water overnight.
Drain the beans the next day, put them in a large a pot, cover with water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
Drain beans, reserving 2 cups of the cooking water. Put the drained beans into the slow cooker with chopped onion, maple syrup, salt pork, tomato paste, molasses, apple cider vinegar, mustard and paprika.
Pour the 2 cups of reserved cooking water, plus two additional cups of water for a total of 4 cups of liquid.
Cover and cook 6-8 hours. Check the beans a few times during cooking, and add more water if needed.
Serve with a salad and a loaf of homemade Crusty No Knead Bread, or pick up a fresh baguette from one of Quebec’s fantastic artisanal bakeries.